Monday, July 18, 2011

Kansas City Going Strong

As I said in my last post, Kansas City has yet to let me down. The other day we got to the theatre and this was posted on the back of the car we parked next to.
Way to keep it classy Kansas City.

Unfortunately I wasn't able to sample ALL of the KC BBQ, but I did make one final stop. Arthur Bryants. I first heard about it on the food network's Food Wars. Apparently Kansas City is divided between Arthur Bryants and Gates for best BBQ, but after being told by the local dressers to not waste my time at Gates I went to AB.
The portrait is of Arthur the founder of the place and then the lineup where you order. You take a plate from the pile, hand it to the guy behind the window, tell him what you want and he loads it up with meat for you.
Not going to win any awards for being sanitary...

Luckily I went with a friend this time so I could sample the ribs AND the pulled pork.


We opted for the Long End this time (if you have been following you know that I had a hard time with this decision at Oklahoma Joe's). The long end ribs were great, but overall the ribs at Oklahoma Joe's are the winner. Now, I didn't get to try the pulled pork there, but the pulled pork here was out of this work. Sweet, spicy, tangy, tender and just SOAKED the wonder bread underneath it with the delicious juices. There were a variety of sauces on the table and we sampled all of them. The Sweet Heat was my favorite, followed by the Rich and Spicy and I wasn't crazy about the original. Their original had kind of a spanish mole flavor which I don't really care for.

Even though we split everything, we couldn't finish. That BBQ really fills you up!
I was completely defeated.

I dealt with my shame and we moved on and stopped by Gates just to pick up a bottle of their sauce of a comparison at a later date.

I am currently on a bus riding from Kansas City to Dallas. Should be about 10 hours of driving total, but approximately 12-13 hours total including when we stop for meals. We just stopped in Oklahoma City to get some food and stretch a little. There was a big target so I went in, did a little shopping and got a sandwich.

At this point you may be asking yourself "how is she blogging if she is on a bus?" Well, the bus as wireless! It's incredible. I has made this drive exponentially more bearable and we have onyl three hours left or so which is going to fly by!

More to come from Dallas!

No comments: